|By Ray DePena||
|August 6, 2009 10:46 PM EDT||
Administration officials have told agencies their spending plans for science and technology in fiscal 2011 should be for projects designed to drive economic growth, create energy independence, improve health, and bolster security, according to recently issued general guidance. Meanwhile, an analyst said the guidance shows that science and technology will be priorities for the Obama administration.
Agencies should include in their proposed budgets explanations about how they will redirect science and technology spending on four “practical challenges” the administration, according to a recent memorandum from the Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Science and Technology Policy.
Peter Orzag, OMB’s director, and OSTP Director John Holdren said in the memo Aug. 4 that agencies should build on the science and technology priorities that were reflected by the economic stimulus law and the fiscal 2010 budget.
They said agencies should budget to:
- Apply science and technology strategies for economic growth.
- Promote energy technologies to will reduce energy dependence and mitigate climate change.
- Use biomedical science and information technology to improve health.
- Ensure technology is available to protect troops, citizens and national interests.
They also said dealing with the four challenges will require:
- Increasing the productivity of research institutions such as universities and laboratories.
- Strengthening science, technology and engineering education.
- Improving and protecting the country’s information, communications and transportation infrastructure.
- Bolstering the United States’ capabilities in space.
Science and Technology innovation to drive economic growth in energy and healthcare.
-Tune The Future-
- Which Cloud Services Providers Are Gaining Mind Share?
- Einstein, Sharks and Clouds: IT Security in the Cloud
- The End of IT 1.0 As We Know It Has Begun
- Cloud Talk with Peter Coffee: What's Next for the Cloud?
- Top 20 Cloud Services Providers That Are Gaining Mind Share
- Top 30 Cloud Service Providers Gaining Mind Share in 3Q 2010
- A Golden Key To The Cloud - For You!
- Telepresence – The Face of the Cloud
- Top Cloud Computing Enablers Gaining Mind Share in 3Q 2011
- The Beauty of the Cloud