|By Ray DePena||
|August 29, 2010 08:00 PM EDT||
It has certainly been an exciting week in the Cloudsphere with Dell and HP battling it out over 3PAR. It’s clear who is on Dell and HP’s radar, and I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of 2010 Cloud acquisitions as the segment continues to consolidate.
Its been almost 2 quarters since the last report, though the BTC Logic team has done an excellent job in their Top Ten Cloud Companies in 2Q10 Report to pick up the slack. CRN released The 100 Coolest Cloud Computing Vendors list joining the The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing, 85 Cloud Computing Vendors Shaping the Emerging Cloud, 50 of The Biggest and Best Cloud Computing Companies, The VAR Guy’s SaaS 20 Index, and even Congress has gotten into the Cloud game – Congress Holds Hearing on Cloud Computing.
The list below is a subjective impression of Cloud Service Providers (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS) on my cloud computing radar, and beginning with this report, large industry players will be included as it is very clear now that they are paying close attention to the segment. Just take a look at some of these moves by the giants of IT to position their portfolios for Cloud computing and the current Dell / HP battle for 3PAR.
- Intel acquires McAfee
- IBM acquiring Cast Iron
- Novell cozing up with Amazon
- EMC’s VMWare acquires Zimbra
- CA Technologies acquires 4Base
- CA Technologies acquires Cassatt
- HP acquires Fortify
- HP acquires Palm
- HP acquired 3Com
- Dell acquired Perot Systems
- Oracle acquired Sun
- EMC acquired Data Domain
With that M&A activity as background, here are my rankings for the Top 30 Cloud Service Providers Gaining Mind Share in 3Q 2010.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS), Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Simple Storage Service (S3), andVirtual Private Cloud (VPC)
- Salesforce.com / Sales Cloud 2 (CRM), Service Cloud 2 (Support), Force.com (Development Platform), Chatter (Collaboration)
- Google Apps (AppEngine)
- Citrix – XenServer (Virtualization)
- VMWare – vSphere (Virtualization)
- Rackspace – Mosso
- IBM Smart Business, Cloudburst
- AT&T Synaptic
- Rightscale (#7 management)
- 3Tera – AppLogic
- Microsoft Azure, Hyper-V
- Red Hat
- Appirio – Cloud Connectors
- Relational Networks – LongJump
- Enomaly – Elastic Compute Platform (ECP)
Honorable mentions go to:
- Crosscheck Networks
- Navajo Systems
- Terremark Worldwide
- Virtual Ark
Who’s on your cloud computing radar?
- Which Cloud Services Providers Are Gaining Mind Share?
- Einstein, Sharks and Clouds: IT Security in the Cloud
- The End of IT 1.0 As We Know It Has Begun
- Cloud Talk with Peter Coffee: What's Next for the Cloud?
- Top 20 Cloud Services Providers That Are Gaining Mind Share
- Top 30 Cloud Service Providers Gaining Mind Share in 3Q 2010
- A Golden Key To The Cloud - For You!
- Telepresence – The Face of the Cloud
- Top Cloud Computing Enablers Gaining Mind Share in 3Q 2011
- The Beauty of the Cloud